Friday, July 24, 2009

TUMS

I didn't know what heart burn was until about 2 months ago. It is lame and I feel so bad for people that have it all the time. At first I tried not to take anything - you know the whole medication is bad - unless it makes you sleep, of course. Everyone else that was pregnant seemed to take it in huge doses, so eventually I started taking it too. The ARNP (medication prescriber) at my work was the first pusher of TUMS. So I started taking it a little, then I asked the midwife and she said you have to take it or you will damage your esophogus and you will have it permanently. So that started my love/hate relationship with TUMS. It is pretty gross, but seems to work. Which brings me to Safeway at noon yesterday. I was getting lunch at the deli and I was paying for it with my TUMS and Gatorade (staying hydrated is a huge chore). They needed a price check for the TUMS, so they pick up the phone and call for a price check. Out scurries this little old man, with a limp and a neon vest. He snatches my box of TUMS and scurries away. Then I am left there at the front of the line, I have already scanned my card, and the deli worker is staring at me. The machine is beeping for me to confirm the purchase and a lunch rush line is forming behind me. I keep looking for the little man and counting to ten, the man never comes back. I waited what seemed like 10 minutes with anxiety building, until I finally let go of the dream of having TUMS and let the deli worker off the hook, paid for my items minus the TUMS and went to work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally feel terrible for the people who have it all the time! It was awful! It's amazing how it almost instantly goes away after the baby comes. Loving your funny stories...

One Love Photo said...

I swear try the chewy ROLAIDS they are so much better! It looks like a pack of gum next to the TUMS. I fear this because I already do get it sometimes with certain food, can you imagine? The pineapple flavor is the best followed by strawberry.

Snapdragon said...

Do not oversell the chewy rolaids!