Saturday, August 16, 2008

Goat Goat Goat


I got to go on a goat milking adventure with Mindy, Ben and Max. This as most know is my dream come true. We drove out to the goat farm to the chant "goat, goat, goat" and we tried to guess what noises the goats would make. Mindy was the only person with any goat milking experience and the last time she did it - she didn't get any milk. When we got there the goats were in the pasture with three giant horses (okay one was a baby horse). Only Sheeba was willing to greet us. I think she was only interested in the food since Max would go and fill up the bucket of feed for us to distract the horses and he would return with an empty bucket because Sheeba would shove her head in the bucket and steal all of the food. At one point I was in the pasture with giant horses circling around me and I was a little afraid. A thought ran through my mind - "this goat thing sucks" - but it was short lived. Eventually we just sat and waited until the goats walked in the pen themselves - this was about an hour later. Max was able to sneak up and close the gate. Max had elaborate plans to catch the goats - and he was frustrated we weren't willing to follow them. I know one of the plans had to do with Max blinking and signalling me to do something. The chalk board that told us what to do also explained that we needed to catch and pen up chicks and turkeys. We never found those so I guess they spent the night outside. Pretty sure that we failed our farming test. As we drove away Mindy said "I am not doing that again". Even with the decision not to do it again, we all had fun and our feet were covered in goat dung. We stopped at their relatives house where we were able to wash our hands. After leaving I asked Max why he doesn't like the dog at his grandparents house. He said because "black fat comes out of its ear". I guess it used to have a tumor that bursts - I love how concrete kids are. The evening ended with an invitation for a slumber party with Max. I was so sad to have to decline due to work.



3 comments:

One Love Photo said...

sounds interesting??? I think if you had your own goat milking would be an easier task. When did this goat fascination start with you?

Anonymous said...

Micah particularly liked this post.

kate said...

I saw lots of goats at the san juan county fair, goats, sheep, pigs, cows, bunnies, and chickens. It was so fun. We met a little girl who's chicken got a ribbon for "the chicken's beauty". there was even a fake milking station where you could practice your techniques.