Friday, December 14, 2007

Baja - This is a long one

We spent 12 relaxing days on the Baja. We flew into Loreto, Mexico. The town is small, about 10,000 people. We spent a week staying at Baja Outpost, which was perfect. In town and we didn't have to worry about anything. Just get up, eat breakfast, get in the boat and go to one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen. We spent two days snorkeling and two days kayaking around the Loreto Marine Park.


We used the most recent Lonely Planet for Central Baja, most things have changed. If I go again, I would do a kayaking tour from Mulege to Loreto. The water and scenery is so beautiful there is no reason to spend time anywhere except camping on the beach, snorkeling and kayaking. Rumor is that things are changing fast, and you can see and feel it in town. Loreto is so small, laid back, safe, with very nice people, plenty of bars and restaurants, and absolutely nothing to do except hire a boat to go snorkeling and sit on the waterfront walkway and watch the locals cruise. We drove to Loreto Bay a luxury resort which is actually a dump at this point. I chased a donkey around and almost got arrested. Not really, but the cops showed up as I was hopping back in the car then 5 minutes later the Federalis showed up, I guess just coincidence. Check out their website and compare to the following picture.
Finally, we rented a Jeep and drove on four wheel drive roads. Four wheel driving gets old pretty fast so maybe I have to rethink my list. I think I will cross out the driving down the Baja. But we went to an old mission and saw some cave art that we wouldn't have done without the Jeep. We spent two night in Mulege and then spent some time around the Bahia Conception. The best thing about the vacation is we were actually excited to come home and that we made some healthy lifestyle changes. What is the saying, it is not the destination, it is the journey. Annoying saying, but true.

1 comment:

One Love Photo said...

AHHH-I need some time for reflection and relaxation. This is making me want to escape....I am glad to see you had a lovely honeymoon.