Friday, February 15, 2008

Morals Morale and El Caminos

"...and the resident accidentally shot his friend, who was visiting when the suspects arrived, in the left arm.
The two men drove off in their El Camino, which was found a short time later about a mile to the west in the Wal-Mart parking lot off East Yakima Avenue. "

You may think this is a joke. But this is actually front page Yakima Herald. Damon called me on my way home from work after his bike ride on the Greenway. I was really excited to hear how his ride was, he was going to hand out McDonald gift certificates to the homeless people that he encounters on his ride. He said it was spooky, not a single homeless person on the Greenway. So I said maybe they were having Valentines parties at the homeless shelters. Do they do that? I like to think they do. And then I remembered, there was a shooting somewhere and they think they hid the gun on the Greenway. That explains it, the cops moved them out or they disappeared into the shanties.

Now to why we have McDonalds gift certificates. My work allocates $17.50 per employee for morale. So my boss asked us what we wanted to do. So we decided on Gift Certificates. Everyone wanted Walmart, but I wanted Safeway because I morally can't support Walmart (unless I need a big giant vat of purple powdered Gatorade - then my morals are for sale).

So my boss comes up with gift certificates splayed out like poker cards.
Which did you want?
Safeway.
Whoops, I got you McDonalds and it had to be two $10 gift cards so you owe me $2.50.
Do you want a check? (I am kidding - I thought she was joking)
Yes, but leave it blank I have to send it to human resources. (Obviously, not joking)

So that is how I paid $2.50 for my morale. My morale must be for sale along with my morals.

3 comments:

One Love Photo said...

This a a classic little Yakima tale. You are too funny! I had to read it twice to catch it all. How fun that Damon was riding his bike and trying to give away McDonald's certificates. You really are a perfect pair.

Anonymous said...

That was the funniest story I've hear in a while! And told so very well! The bums will be back as soon as the crime dust settles, so hold onto those certificates...

Sabari folk said...

That story was so funny! You are always such a good story teller. Gotta love Yakima in all its weird glory...