Thursday, February 28, 2008

Little known facts

I volunteered to give a presentation to Juvenile Offenders and their parents this week. Well, I don't really know that I volunteered it was kind of like "we need a volunteer" and everyone stepped back and I was left standing there. Then I roped in a wing woman to help. So the presentation was this week. It was on stress and visualization. Of course the whole thing gave me stress. I searched for info on the internet, put the presentation together. I threw out the visualization part, since we can hopefully all agree, visualization is a bunch of crap and Juvenile Offenders probably are not interested (in any of it really). I also made up word searches with one of those online create your own word search. Then at the last minute I ran out and got candy. In my head, I pictured the 7 offenders each with two parents sitting nicely at tables ready to listen. I don't know where I got that, I have been around long enough to know this would not be the case. When I walked in and there were more than 7 kids, it looked like some siblings had been dragged along with their older brothers. Then there was only 4 monolingual spanish mothers. They had these fancy head phones and a fabulous translater. Gotta love department of corrections. And 5 of the kids were related - cousins or something. Tough audience. So we said we suck at presenting so they are going to have to participate for candy. So they did, and it went okay. The kids said we were the best presenters ever (I think it had to do with the candy). We ended a bit early so I passed out the wordsearch. We walked out with the people running the program and I peeked back in - everyone parents and kids madly searching for words related to stress. Little known fact, juvenile offenders love wordsearches. I don't know why this is, but I think it is amusing. My boss was presenting to county commissioners (I don't even know what those are) and I gave him the rest of my word searches. I want to see if other populations love word searches. I don't think he was planning on humoring my research.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to LOVE word searches in my youth. I wonder if I had more of a propensity toward offending than I realized. Good thing I made it out of youth relatively unscathed and unarrested. Good work, Cory!